head.gif (15372 bytes)
menu1.gif (2921 bytes)
menu2.gif (2610 bytes)
menu3.gif (2994 bytes)
menu4.gif (2567 bytes)
menu5.gif (2446 bytes)
menu6.gif (3005 bytes)
menu7.gif (1226 bytes)

Developed by:
te.gif (1726 bytes)


Best Experienced with:
ie4get_animated.gif (7090 bytes)

head2.gif (2515 bytes)

ts4.jpg (8815 bytes)

tsb2b.gif (2320 bytes)

Sarawak Steamship Building

ss.jpg (11948 bytes)

Built in 1930, this was previously the office and warehouse of the Sarawak Steamship Company. Extensively restored, its now houses a restaurant, a fast food outlet and a convenience store.

Square Tower

sqt.jpg (12739 bytes)

Built in 1879 as a detention camp for prisoners, the Square Tower was later converted into a fortress and then a dance hall. Today it is a multimedia information centre and video theatre providing information on Sarawak's tourist attractions.

General Post Office

po.jpg (16747 bytes)

This 1931 building stands out majestically with its imposing neo-classical style and impressive Corinthian columns. In contrast to its ornate facade with semi-circular arches, ornamental columns capitals and friezes, the back of the building is plain and unadorned. Deep parapet walls of plain design hide the pitched root. A colonnaded portico serves as a corridor in front of the building. This will soon be converted into the Sarawak Art Museum.

Round Tower

rt.jpg (12656 bytes)

Constructed in 1886, the reason for the building of the Round Tower remains a mystery. Because of its structure, it is claimed the building was meant to serve as a fort in an emergency. Instead it became the Dispensary and was then used by the Labour Department until 1980. It now houses a section of the Judicary department. In earlier days, the Round Tower was strategically located to provide an excellent view of the town.

The Pavilion

pav.jpg (19359 bytes)

Next to the Round Tower is The Pavilion, which was built in 1909. Regarded as something of an architectural enigma, its design is reminiscent of buildings in the southern states of America - a mixture of late English renaissancce and colonial architecture. It served as a General Hospital until 1947. It is currently undergoing renovation to be turned into a textile museum.

The Court House

court.jpg (14007 bytes)

The Court House was built in 1874 to bring together all government offices and be the venue for all state ceremonies. State council meetings were held here from the fifth council meeting in 1878 until 1973. Befitting its status, this is an impressive building with belian (iron wood) roof and is decorated with beautiful engravings reflecting local art form. It now houses the High Court, the Magistrate's Court and several government departments. Back in 1847, this was originally the site of a missionary which was turned into a judicial administration office. It was demolised in 1858 and two more buildings were put up in its place before the Court House came into being.

Brooke Memorial

The Brooke Memorial is located at the front of the Court House. The 6 metre high granite obelisk was commissioned in 1924 to honour the 2nd Rajah, Charles Brooke. At the corner of the obelisk is a bronze panel of four figures representing the Sarawakian community: Chinese, Dayak, Kayan and Malay. The colonial baroque Clock Tower behind the memorial was added in 1883.

The Astana

astana.jpg (13785 bytes)

The Astana which lies in regal splendour accross the river, is a majestic building with romantic history. The second Rajah, Charles Brooke, built this palace in 1870 as a bridal gift for his wife, the Ranee Margaret. Then known as the Government House, it is actually three separate buildings fused into one, with each connected to the other by short and narrow passageways. First occupied by Charles Brooke in 1870, it was the private residence of the second Rajah. It has undergone substantial alterations and renovations and is today the official residence of the Yang di-Pertua Negeri, the Governor of Sarawak.

Fort Margherita

mag.jpg (13727 bytes)

Completed in 1879, Fort Margherita commands a breathtaking and strategic position along the Sarawak River, with a location chosen to overlook the long stretch of river approaching Kuching. Named after the second Rajah, Charles Brooke's wife, the Ranee Margaret, it was built in the defensive edifice/castle style of the late English renaissance. Fort Margherita has been converted into a Police Museum and many of its old cannons, cannon balls, guns, pistols, swords and other vestiges of its artillery can still be seen. The armoury still exists as does the condemned prisoner's cell. The Police Museum has a display of old police weapons, reconstructed opium dens and scenes of hanging and other forms of criminal punishment.


tsb3.gif (2342 bytes)
tsb1.gif (2262 bytes)

 

Copyright Thelex Dot Com. All rights reserved.
Designed and Maintained by Thelex Dot Com.